Before you jump into the ocean of jobs, let’s think what kind of writing you like? When you want to become a writer, step back and think – What kind of writer you are? Do you want to specialise in specific category or you are a professional writer? These are a really different things.
Category specific writing will require expertise in the target area.
And being a professional writer doesn’t really mean you are a best writer on the list. Professional writer writes according to the trend. They know what the client needs. That’s really the main thing.
A professional writer will convince the client with the content, not with the talk.
Your job will mostly depend on research. You will gather best information and put them in best word to craft great piece of content.
How To Start Writing & Become A Writer?
Now, let’s talk about how you can start writing. Then we will discuss some best ways that can make you professional writer, not just a good one. And then at the end, you will get tips on getting paid for your writing.
1. Don’t hesitate with words. Write a lot.
2. Understand the topic. Research to clear the doubts.
3. When you research, use trusted websites or sources to gather the information.
4. Try to be Conversational. Imagine you are talking with audience.
5. Learn the format. Make it pleasant for the eyes.
6. Don’t use fancy words. Simple words do the best job. Use words that we hear in our daily life.
7. Short sentences are the best. Don’t confuse the audience. People will be reading this content.
For best results, try to shorten the sentences with these suggestions:
|I came to the realisation that ❌||I realized that ✔|
|She is of the opinion that ❌||She thinks that ✔|
|Concerning the matter of ❌||About ✔|
|During the course of ❌||During ✔|
|In the event that ❌||If ✔|
|In the process of ❌||During, while ✔|
|Regardless of the fact that ❌||Although ✔|
|Due to the fact that ❌||Because ✔|
|In all cases ❌||Always ✔|
|At that point in time ❌||Then ✔|
|Prior to ❌||Before ✔|
8. Use active voice. Speak in present.
9. Impeccable spelling. Use additional plugins for quick grammatical check.
10. Understand basic seo. Keyword integration is the must.
11. Maintain positivity. Say things in a positive way.
12. Write on point. Don’t build up.
13. Use punctuation properly. Do not cross the thin line.
14. Try to be creative. Experiment with words and format.
Be A reader. You Can’t be a writer without being a reader.
It will help you understand how picky a reader can be when it comes to reading.
Love your job. Understand your role & motivate yourself.
Readers will see your dedication and appreciation in your words. So, loving what you do is must.
Edit your content. Understand your mistakes and fix them.
Editing can help you understand your mistakes in the root. So, it will help you identify and improve your mistakes.
Read what you write. Experience being a reader of your own content.
When you are done, give yourself a chance to experience being a reader.
Understand the target audience. Find out what they know and what they want. Fact, subject or decision?
Not all audience will prefer quote, long discussions or references. So, make sure that you understand your audience before you create a piece for them.
Write with professionalism, not just with creativity.
When we enter the professional word, our creativity doesn’t define the content. Especially when it is about informative content, we need to make sure that our content is accurate and suitable for the audience who will eventually read it.
Understand what result you expect. Set goals. Sale, traffic or specific audience approach?
When your piece of content is published, you should set your goals and see what results you received. After that, you should analyse the result and try to do better in next.
Note: Basic education is sufficient. But you can get writing course, if you want learning support.
If you don’t have any inspiration then you can read books or research to get some motivation and inspiration.
Get Paid Job:
- When ready, introduce yourself to the clients. let people know your skills. Create a social presence.
- Create your portfolio. Start a blog. Showcase your best writing samples.
- Create LinkedIn profile. This can help your client know you.
- Sign up for freelance job platforms. It can be Upwork or Freelancer.
- Participate in communities. They can be writing groups and webinars.
- Search for openings on LinkedIn. My personal favourite, follow the hashtags.
- Apply for jobs and freelance gigs. You can get started right away!
Things To Understand:
Writing is the professional of patience. You will need to invest your time and effort in learning before you get any result from it at all. You can face rejections, many of them until you get your first paid job. But if you keep on walking on the right path, your destination of success is definite.
To test yourself, you can try comparing your writing with other paid proof reading and writing services. It will help you understand mistakes and you will get a chance to improve them as well.
And if you are ready to become a writer, let’s take a step ahead and start your career with some of the custom study packages that will help you boost your skills and presentations!